I really enjoyed the talk from President Thomas S. Monson, ‘An Attitude for Gratitude‘. Here are some of my favorite quotes from it:
- We can lift ourselves, and others as well, when we refuse to remain in the realm of negative thought and cultivate within our hearts an attitude of gratitude.
- I love the idea that you can refuse to stay negative. Often, I let the negative aspects of life determine how I act and feel when I should realize that I am choosing how to respond to something.
- speaking of a teacher, “she created in her room an atmosphere where warmth and acceptance weave their magic spell; where growth and learning, the soaring of the imagination, and the spirit of the young are assured”
- When reading this, I thought how I want this to be said of my own home. I want to foster this type of environment for my children to enjoy and be a part of. This is part of my dream home life.
- This old world would be so much better off today if kindness and deference were daily a reflection of our gratitude for wife, for husband.
- I hope and pray this can be part of my marriage someday. We are struggling, and have been, and I need to work on being more grateful for my husband and all he does for us and our family.
From ‘Recognizing and Shaping Opportunities’, I had to laugh when reading out loud what Fernandez (the entrepreneur for Telepizza) considered small savings. He said, “I had only small savings, less than $100,000”. Who on earth thinks that’s small savings? I can only dream of having that amount of money in a savings account someday, or even making that much yearly. We have survived with less than $20,000 a year for my family of 4, thanks mostly in part to student loans as we have been attending school full-time. It’s difficult, and I don’t enjoy it at all. Especially with children, the lack of money is scary and stressed me out a lot yesterday. I need to increase my faith in the Savior, allow Him to guide my life, and take the paths He has prepared for me in order to have things like this be a possibility.